Sunday, July 7, 2013

Camping with Kids Part I: Diapering

*Intro to this series is here*

For many people the question of "how to we want to diaper our little one?" is an easy one and they pick up an extra bag of disposable diapers and wipes. For others it isn't so easy. The real question becomes "do we want to cloth diaper on our camping trip?". On our last camping trip we went for it and used cloth. It was only a weekend so it wasn't too bad (especially considering our week long trip out of state on which we used cloth only 6 month before). We have used disposables when we leave the house many times but since we were already buying new things for the trip and I went over-budget on food (poor planning... that is a whole post on it's own) we wanted to save the 20 bucks and use cloth.

My strategy-

  1. Make sure all of the diapers are clean the morning we leave so we aren't leaving a pail full of nappies at home.
  2. Plan on when to change Baby and then add 2 per day. That is how many to bring. I ended up packing all of our Thristies brand covers (my absolute favorites), which is about a dozen, with all of our prefolds and pocket diaper inserts to just put in the covers (*covers do not need to be changed at every change, only 2 or 3 per day are necessary). For each night, in our case 2, I packed a double stuffed Fuzzi Bunz. This is what we use for nighttime at home. I also packed all of our wipes (just two layers of flannel sewed together and a few wash clothes) and had a water bottle set aside to get them wet. We will also have the gDiapers that we keep on the car on a regular basis. 
  3. I kept all the cleans in a a duffle and brought a pail liner to keep the dirties (held together at the top with a hair tie). We did not have an issue with smell and if we had I would have put a cup of baking soda in with the dirties. Baking soda is amazing for getting rid of odors.
  4. "What did you do with the poo?" is always a common question when cloth diapers are concerned. This is the answer- it depends on the poop. If it the kind of diaper that the poo can be easily shaken into the toilet I do so. If it isn't I don't worry about it and just put in into the dirty bag (now that I'm really thinking about it I should have a separate wet bag for these so I know where they are) and rinse them with the diaper sprayer when we get home. 
Something else you can do (that I have done in the past) is use the disposable gDiaper inserts with the Thristies covers or the gDiaper covers. I like these inserts because they biodegrade very quickly (you can compost the wets!) and disposable diapers take a very long time. This is what I like to use when Snuggle Puppy gets a yeast rash and I need to use the prescribed cream for a few days (and then I follow up with a week or two of coconut oil at each change. I haven't had a build-up problem with the coconut oil so I feel comfortable using it with cloth diapers).

I hope this has made using cloth on camping trips a little less scary :)

No comments:

Post a Comment